Caribbean Vacations
 Register   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Martinique First Time Visit

Reply to topic    Caribbean Travel Forums -> Martinique Island

BETHML

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008     Post subject: Martinique First Time Visit Reply with quote

My husband and I have free airtickets to Martinique and have no idea of where to stay. We are in our 40s, speak no french (but will try to learn a little), and basically want to relax and snorkel. We are low key people and like casual surroundings. I have not been able to find information on the best lodging for us - somewhere that offers snorkeling from the beach. Can anyone offer advice? Thank you!
Google
xkenx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008     Post subject: Martinique First Time Reply with quote

Martinique is a beautiful island, but not known for good snorkeling, which is typical of volcanic islands. Nicest beache is Salines beach in the southeast (no hotel). But near there in the town of St. Anne is a casual beachfront hotel, Anse Caritan. They have a website. Might be some snorkeling right there.
Odin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008     Post subject: Martinique First Time Reply with quote

We stayed at the Kalenda Hotel in Trois Ilets. We had a nice clean room with seaview, it has a small beach and is next door to the Sofitel. Breakfast was OK-nothing more and we did not want to eat in the hotel as there are so many places around there to eat. I think location was a good point about this hotel. I'm reluctant to recommend it as such, because it has seen better days (used to be a Meridien) but we were happy enough to stay there as it was a good base to explore the island and we spent most time around Anse d'Arlet.
henry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008     Post subject: Martinique First Time Visit Reply with quote

We have stayed several times at Diamant les Bains, both with the kids and without. It is excellent. Great location with cottages on the beach for isolation, yet with pool, beautiful gardens and restaurant, nice folks, local grocery stores with extras for the in-room fridge, and flowers galore. It is delightful and family run so it isn't a cookie-cutter resort. Low key, laid back, clean but not fancy (or too expensive) and in a charming town with safe streets and little cafes on the water and bars where locals also go so it is a chance to experience Martinique and not just visit. Enjoy.
BETHML

Thank you both for your suggestions! Diamant sounds wonderful Henry - do you speak French? Do you think that someone with very little knowledge of the language would have much difficulty at Diamant? I had read that the water there is rough - have you found that to be the case? Is there any snorkeling to be found on that beach? I know that this island is not particularly known for wonderful snorkeling but since we enjoy it so much we hope to find a little bit off the beach we stay on. Again, thank you for your input - Martinique looks to be a lovely island and I am looking forward to the adventure.
Nelson John

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010     Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many excellent beaches in Martinique. These beaches are suitable for good snorkeling and under water exploration. Anse Noire, Anse Dufour, Anses d’Arlet and the most beautiful Cap Chevalier.
johnmartin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012     Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey:) it seems like Martinique is quite romantic place for spending holidays. I heard many good things about this place. There is lot of good places for visiting. I will certainly go there in coming summer vacations.

jerusalem hostels
Alien23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012     Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya Martinique Island is a spot where every family like to visit and spend their spare time with family members.
Kids, youngsters as well as older people like to go with in ocean waves. They swim, diving and play different games with each others.
Reply to topic    Caribbean Travel Forums -> Martinique Island All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: